Now that we’re getting closer to the finish line, we’ve been ramping up our playtesting with full start-to-finish gameplay sessions.
The basic No Goblin Playtest Process is Panzer and/or I quietly watching someone play while we furiously write down scrawl about things to change or problems to solve. In my case, said scrawl is indecipherable at best.
I love this stage because it gives us hundreds of tiny things that we can fix quickly. It’s the game development equivalent of popping bubble wrap. We burn down the list, find a new fresh player, then repeat the process all over again.
The scale of these things is pretty wide. The last shot in this gallery is a tweak we made to the pulled out camera - it now pitches down a bit as you pull the camera back, giving you a slightly more top down view. That’s a pretty minor five minute fix that makes things feel a little more polished.
The other shot is a good example of the other end of the scale. With our first few players, we noticed they didn’t have a good sense of whether a ride had been played, completed, or how they were doing against the other players on the leaderboards.
With the latest build, we now have completely different UI for unplayed and played rides, and our played view now shows a completion and leaderboard summary. Hitting RB pops up the “How’s My Driving” card and leaderboard info to show you what you need to do to get 100% on a particular ride.
Thankfully, both of these ends of the scale are pretty minor. Playtesters seem to be enjoying the game, which is a nice feeling when we’re 56 days out from release. Not long now!